The Official Ticket Center Inc. ~ I just found out that there will be three new tasting marketplaces – Belgium, South Korea and Singapore – joining the line-up at the 15th annual Epcot International Food & Wine Festival kicking off in just weeks. For 45 fabulous days, you can nosh your way around World Showcase Lagoon tasting everything from savory chicken souvlaki to sweet Belgian waffles.
Chefs figure they serve more than 100,000 desserts from Oct. 1 – Nov. 14, including this hot-off-the-griddle treat topped with berry compote and whipped cream.
In case you can’t wait, try these at home. To get in the spirit, serve for dessert with silky sweet Valckenberg Dornfelder from Germany’s largest wine region. Or just pour yourself a big ol’ glass of ice-cold milk.
Belgian Waffles with Berry Compote and Whipped Cream
Serves 4 (makes 8 4×4-inch waffles)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon dry active yeast
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cups milk
2 tablespoons beer
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 stick butter, melted
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon red wine
1/2 cup apple, orange, or cranberry juice
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup fresh blackberries
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
1 cup fresh raspberries
For Belgian waffles:
- Sift flour into a large bowl. Add sugar and yeast. Create a well in the center of mixture.
- Add water, milk, beer, egg, and vanilla extract. Stir until mixture is just blended. (Don’t worry if there are lumps; they will dissolve as the batter rests overnight.) Add melted butter, and stir until just incorporated.
- Refrigerate batter overnight.
- Bring mixture to room temperature. Ladle waffle batter into a Belgian waffle maker; cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve warm with berry compote and whipped cream
For berry compote:
- Combine cornstarch and red wine in a small bowl, stirring until cornstarch is dissolved. Set aside.
- Combine fruit juice, sugar, and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Add cornstarch mixture, blueberries, and blackberries.
- Cook 1 to 2 minutes, until berries are softened and mixture is thickened. Add strawberries, stirring to combine. Remove from heat, and gently fold in raspberries. Serve warm over Belgian waffles.
To attend this Epcot event, please call our office toll free at 1-877-406-4836 or just click here to purchase your Epcot tickets http://www.officialticketcenter.com/epcot-tickets.aspx